Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Try out this appletini cocktail at your next party or celebration. This light green drink has a fun sweet and sour apple flavor.
What is an Appletini?
An appletini is a combination of vodka, triple sec and sour apple pucker served in a martini glass. This cocktail is a light neon green color and has a strong bite of vodka that is quickly mixed with a sweet and sour apple flavor. Though this drink is not a true martini, it is served in a martini glass and that combined with apple flavor is where it gets its name.
Vodka has a rather neutral flavor that is mostly characterized by a bite from the alcohol content. It is a clear liquor. In this cocktail it really just provides a bit of a bite.
Triple sec is a clear liqueur. It is made from a neutral flavored base spirit that is infused or steeped in orange peels. The resulting liqueur is a sweet orange flavor.
Sour apple pucker is a bright neon green color liqueur. It is also made from a neutral flavored base spirit. But, it has a very strong sour and slightly sweet apple flavored added.
When to Make This Drink:
This drink is well suited for a wide range of events and occasions including:
- fall celebrations
- St Patrick’s Day
- after dinner drinks
- Thanksgiving parties
Due to the fact that this drink is not a standardized cocktail, there are a lot of different variations on this recipe. If you’re looking for a few ways to change it up try some of these out:
- Use apple flavored vodka. If you want to ramp up the Apple in this cocktail, use an apple flavored vodka instead of plain vodka.
- Use a vanilla flavored vodka. If you want to counteract some of the sour in this cocktail, use a vanilla flavored vodka for a little bit of sweetness. Alternatively, you could use a caramel flavored vodka as well.
- Add a splash of apple juice. If you want to add some real Apple flavor to this cocktail, you can add a splash of apple juice.
- Use an Apple liqueur. Instead of using sour apple pucker, you can use an Apple liqueur like Alize or an apple schnapps both of which will still provide the Apple flavor but without some of the sour. Additionally, this will change the green color of the drink.
- Use an apple brandy. If you want to add a sweetness to this drink you can also do so by substituting Apple Brandy in for the sour apple pucker.
- Use a different orange liqueur. Substitute Cointreau or Grand Marnier for the triple sec.
- Add a little sour mix. Add a splash of lemon juice and simple syrup to sweeten the cocktail up. Or, use a pre-made sour mix.
Other apple flavored drinks include: the apple jack shot, the washington apple shot and the caramel apple shot.
How to make this drink:
This cocktail is easy to make taking only three ingredients and a few minutes. Toss everything together and your shaker and shake them up.
- 2 oz Vodka
- 1 oz Triple sec
- 1 oz sour apple pucker
As you get started make sure you have everything you need for this cocktail including Martini glass, cocktail shaker, Hawthorne strainer, jigger, ice, sour apple pucker, vodka and triple sec.
Stick your martini glass in the freezer to chill as you make your cocktail. And, fill your shaker almost to the top with ice.
Grab your vodka and jigger. Using the jigger, measure 2 oz of vodka and toss it into shaker.
Grab your sour apple pucker and jigger. Using the jigger, measure 1 oz of sour apple pucker and toss it into the shaker with the vodka.
Grab the triple sec and jigger. Using the jigger, measure 1 oz of triple second toss it in the shaker with the sour apple pucker and vodka.
Grab the shaker lid and cover the shaker with it. Shake well until the outside of the shaker is icy and cold to the touch. Typically this will take around 20 seconds.
Remove the martini glass from the freezer. Pop the top off the shaker and place the Hawthorne strainer over the shaker. Then, pour your appletini from the shaker into the martini glass.
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- Martini glass
- 2 oz Vodka
- 1 oz Triple Sec
- 1 oz Sour Apple Pucker
- Place your martini glass into the freezer to chill while you make the drink.
- Place some ice in the shaker. Shaker should be filled to the top with ice.
- Take the vodka and measure out 2 oz with the jigger. Dump the vodka in the shaker.
- Take the triple sec and measure out 1 oz with the jigger. Dump the triple sec in the shaker.
- Take the sour apple pucker and measure out 1 oz with the jigger. Dump the sour apple pucker in the shaker.
- Place the shaker lid on and shake well. Usually it takes about 15 seconds for the shaker to become cold to the touch.
- Remove the martini glass from the freezer.
- Replace the shaker lid with the strainer and pour the drink into the glass.
Leave a Reply